Thursday, February 3, 2011

What do you worry about?

Last night we had a wonderful lesson at church [minus all of the sidetracking the youth and youth leaders did]. It was about worry and why we worry.  The lesson was really in God's timing.  Earlier that day, I had read a blog of a Christian lady who was a widow.  She wrote that it wasn't long after her husband has passed away that she found herself in the middle of a horrible snow storm which ended up knocking the power out and knocked a tree down onto her house.  Feeling so overwhelmed she began to make phone calls - the first was to the fire department who told her the tree was too large for them to remove, she'd need a tree service.  Next call was to the insurance company where she was redirected to another call center in another state due to the weather in her area and they weren't really of any help.  Feeling helpless, she called up one of her prayer warriors and asked her to pray.  As they sat on the phone praying, tears fell from this woman's face.  Her friend encouraged her to not worry and to really give it to the Lord for His help.  After she got off the phone with her friend she began to pray that God would help her with this situation - that he would show through this tough time and be her "right hand man."  Boy, did he answer her prayers.  The first call she made was to a tree service she found in the phone book who braved the winter storm to come help the widow.   She called the insurance company who directed her to someone who was able to help her.  They came out within a day and estimated her damage.  Not too long after the snow had melted, she had a  brand new roof.  God is so good!

I think about the things I worry about.  I worry about a lot of things from day to do.  My current worries:

1. My cheer team - JV and Varsity. I worry about my JV team and if they are going to preform well, are they going to hit their stunts, did I make someone mad, do they really want to get better??
Varsity I worry about their upcoming competition and if they are going to do good - will we beat Ledford??  Will our stunts hit?? Why do they not want to be the best by working to be the best? Will I play the music right??
2. Money - how am I going to pay my car payment, put gas in my car, pay for my bridesmaids dress, have money for food, etc.?
3. Losing weight - right now my biggest worry. Am I eating right? What can I eat? Finding time to work out.
4. My Wednesday night lesson at church - is it going to be good.  Am I teaching on what God wants me to teach on or am I teaching what I want to teach? Am I keeping them engaged?

All of these worries are daily for me in my life.  Matthew 6:25-34 says this:

25 “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? 26 Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27 Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?
   28 “And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29 Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 30 If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith? 31 So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32 For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

I need to learn to pray for my worries before I make them worries.  If I would pray harder and give my potential worries to God fully, he will provide for me.

Matthew 6 also says this:

 5 “And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. 6 But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. 7 And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. 8 Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.

So, my question to you is this - 

What do you worry about?

0 comments:

Post a Comment